I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rainbows: good news is out there!

A personal update first:  The flood of job postings I was expecting a week ago Monday really has not happened as I expected.  I have submitted less than 10 applications/resume since January 5, 2009 -- it would have been more except I am avoiding jobs for now that pay less than collecting Unemployment and those which require some type of certificate or license, neither of which I have save a driver's license.

I wished things looked more positive on the job search.  However, if I had that 40 hour-a-week job, I wouldn't have as much time to research, surf the 'net and writer.

Here are some recent stories that are chipping away at the walls built to insulate me from all the insanity of the current administration:

Gov Palin is less than thrilled at bloggers like me.  Ouch.  She still insists one can see Russia from Alaska -- and apparently she is technically correct if she stands on the top of the western-most, permanent resident-free parts of Alaska.  I'll resist the urge to be snarky.

Office of Personnel Management is likely to have its first openly gay director.  Very cool! Now, if we could just get this openly gay blogger (Me!) a new job, I'll be euphoric!

Senator Feingold is proposing "legislation to make public some opinions from the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, which issued some of the Bush Administration's most sweeping claims of executive power" and, per Feingold, President-Elect seems likely to support this legislation in addition to "reverse executive orders regarding torture of terror suspects, the military prison at Guantanamo Bay and other controversial security policies".  The full celebration, of course, will happen here once it is actually done. However, it is worth mentioning that these things were said and it is now in writing, waiting to be used to confront the new administration if they stray from these goals.

With all of this, it feels like sunlight cracking through the rain clouds with more sunshine to come. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the rainbow.

No comments:

Search This Blog