I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Arnoldbucks

Sometimes, the inspiration to post here just falls into my lap.  This one came by e-mail and, as I have a laptop computer, it's almost the same thing . .

Kudos to the Courage Campaign who is elevating the snark to new levels by sending out today a mass e-mail to supporters (thanks to the protesting of the passing of Proposition 8, I am one of those supporters) with a goofy 67 second clip with a dude trying to pass off "Arnoldbucks" as real currency to a liquor store owner, a vending machine and others.




Doesn't matter to me if the clip was staged (that's my bet) or an actual submission, the point it makes is quite valid:  If California's Legislature and Governator cannot pass a budget to make up a 40 billion dollar shortfall, the state will eventually issue IOUs instead of money   California has done this once before and I received them in 1992 as I get slightly more than minimum wage as an IHSS worker .  The banks in California accepted those and treated them as if they were real checks.  I may luck out this time around, it seems, but many who rely on state funding may want to prepare.

So, you Californians who voted for Schwarzenegger, how's the California Recovery Plan from late 2003 working out for you?
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that the kind that self-terminates after a few months with a signal from Skynet? :P

Sorry, I just had to sneak that in!

Seriously, you guys are in a real bad spot, and I hope someone figures out what to do. It's not going to be easy, that's for sure, but I don't know of any state that's in good shape right now. There's no easy answer.

Search This Blog