I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Shortest Straw - my 10th favorite Metallica tune

"Ooooh weee Oh.  We Ohhhh Oh!"

Normally a song that starts with the chant uttered by the flying monkey guards in 1939's "The Wizard of Oz" seems doomed to silliness.   Not when Metallica does it (though there are some Metallica songs that are just downright silly.  But, these posts aren't here to complain or degrade).

I found what, I think, is a Japanese band named Thrasher (I'm sure of the name, just not the nation of origin).  A really good instrumental-only version of the song!

If you want to check out some of their original material, check out their My Space page.  They are most definitely Metallica fans and heavily influenced by them.  They then thread through the songs some electronic licks.  Unfortunately, the vocals are "Cookie Monster" style.  And, yes, to me there's a difference to Metallica's Hetfield growling and full-throttle singing style and the demon-styled sludge vocals of most of the newer metal bands.  If that makes me old, then so be it.  




No comments:

Search This Blog