I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Interesting interview: President Lula of Brazil

The video from Fareed Zakaria GPS, which aired earlier today, is not yet posted,  However, I just finished watching an interview he did with Brazil's President Lula.

For the first 10 minutes of the interview, I really liked what Pres. Lula had to say regarding his background and, it was easy for me to see just by his body language (Lula doesn't speak English, so it's impossible to glean anything from what he said) how he has maintained enormous popularity in his country.

Then he talked about Venezuela's Hugo Chavez.  The politician in him came out immediately.  Venezuela, like every other country in the continent except two, borders Brazil.  I can appreciate the political-speak, much as we would expect our President to talk about Canada or Mexico.

Lula, along with nineteen other government leaders, are meeting soon in London to talk economics.  A comment that sounded racist to me has been attributed to Lula.  However, it gets a little difficult to judge him based on Lula's working-class background and the distance from which he views the economic goings-on in the U.S.

If you plan on following the news that will come from the G20 economic summit this coming week, keep an eye/ear out for Lula --- I'll do my best to do so.  He may not grab the lion's share of headlines, but if what I have heard/read so far is any indication, Lula will provide the most fascinating news coming from that summit.

No comments:

Search This Blog