I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Monday, March 16, 2009

Metallica: "The Frayed . ." (song # 19)

This one was easy to put on my list of favorite Metallica songs. Strangely enough, I could not find an official video, a tribute/cover performance or a live performance of the song. According to at least one fan site, Metallica never even played the song in concert as they toured to support the album on which the song is included, ". . . And Justice For All".

But, I know I am not alone in loving this song. I found an unusual on-line piece of artwork inspired, I presume, by the song's lyrics. (some of the lyrics are quoted as part of the piece).

The song's intro also features this instantly recognizeable chant from a much beloved movie. IMHO, it's worth the 99 cents to buy a copy of the song from iTunes (look for "The Frayed Ends of Sanity") -- it's a good example of how they transitioned from the progressive-rock style of their '80's music to the gentler, pop-style metal they made in the '90's.

No comments:

Search This Blog