I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Monday, December 1, 2008

The significance of today

Plenty to talk about today: President-Elect Obama's security team was announced and today is also World AIDS Day.  I was surprised to find out that today also marks the 53rd anniversary of the date when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus to a white person and go to the back end of the bus she was riding.  

Was I reminded of this while glued to MSNBC or skipping around my favorite blogs?  Nope, I heard it from Whoopi Goldberg as I watched The View late this morning!

While my life is quite a bit different from Ms. Parks', today served as a good reminder that in each of us rests the ability to, with even the seemingly smallest of gestures, affect change in our world.  While the likelyhood of any of us choosing to do something small could result in such a large change in our world, the opportunity to affect change is lost when we choose to do nothing.

I have been challenging myself, in small ways, to make changes within my world, especially with my recent change in employment status.  How significant could the coming days be for all of us should we continue to accept this challenge to change?

No comments:

Search This Blog