I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Favorites of 2008

Ooh, I've always wanted to do one of these lists!!  But, to make things interesting, I'm going to shuffle songs, movies, TV and whatever else comes to mind into the list:

Nine Inch Nails "Discipline".  This was a song from one of those rare few, totally artist approved free albums.  I'm just nuts for the beats and this song reminds me of some of their earlier songs like "Head Like a Hole"

Thriving Ivory "Angels on the moon".  I liked it so much I wrote a post on this weeks ago. Wanna read about it? Search this blog!

Does It Offend You, Yeah? "Dawn of the Dead".  I'm a sucker for a great hook and I just cannot resist a pop song with steel drums folded into the chorus!

Motley Crue "Saints of Los Angeles". Ooh, it was like I was 16 again for a minute, then I realized how fortunate I was to give up that life when I was 19.

Gnarls Barkley "Who's Gonna Save My Soul".  They just don't sound like anyone else out there. Haunting and beautiful.

Weezer "Troublemaker". A song all about my childhood dreams . . sort of.  Lots of fun!

Metallica "Death Magnetic" (the whole album).  Better than the Black Album. This should've been the follow up to "..Justice..".

"The Dark Knight".  Only movie this year I saw twice in the theatre.  Cried both times I saw Heath Ledger for the last time toward the end of the movie.

"Iron Man".  Only other movie from this year I saw twice (did it On Demand style the second time).  Fun, great effects, nice chemistry between Robert Downey Jr and Gwenyth Paltrow.

"Saving Grace" (TNT).  My partner loves the Closer, which aired just before this show on Mondays over the summer.  I love that the hero is dark, complex, strong and continues to be torn between getting swallowed up in evil or fighting for good.  I also love that it does not resort to making judgments on the main characters at the end of every episode -- the show is messy, much like real life.  Worth checking out when it returns in January (I think -- could be in June)

"The Rachel Maddow Show" (MSNBC). Her talent lies in making the complexities of politics easy to understand without being condescending or shrill.  She's starting to get some really good guests on her show and her show is quite popular -- good for her!

Saturday Nights on BBC America.  There was a sci-fi or fantasy show on every Saturday night on BBC America.  At the moment, the most recent season of Doctor Who is airing and I cannot wait to see what show they put on Saturdays next.  I really enjoyed Primeval, Robin Hood and Torchwood before.  This is the place to see the best in TV sci-fi (until, I suspect, someone gets me involved in Battlestar Galactica or something)

What were your favorites from this past year?

No comments:

Search This Blog