I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Free advice from a job seeker

My quest for a second paying job continues.  My last interview was a long time ago (click on the Employment label below to see how long).  After getting two e-mails today, I need to get up on my metaphorical soap box and exorcise this mess that comes along with this job hunt journey.

If you're going to take the time to post a job opening, include your company's name.  Or, if that's too much trouble, at least say the industry your business is classified.  If your concern is that listing your industry would scare away potential applicants, perhaps listing your job in a trade publication or making an appearance at a job fair is a better way to go.  Job seekers like me avoid ads like this - it leaves the impression that the business is less than reputable:
Please give me the option of being specific about jobs for which I am looking on an automated search:  This is a list of jobs I received not so long ago. I do have retail experience, but only because I worked at a store's Call Center.  Still, this is an odd partial list:


I thought big banks like Chase and Wells Fargo were getting big money from the government (via taxpayers like you and I) .  If your company has lost so much money that you needed government assistance, wouldn't the first thing you'd do is figure out which employees to lay off?  Why are there still job openings at banks??

AND, by the way, the two "Customer Service" jobs are listed as being in Los Angeles within the list. When you enter the posting, you're told that, for both listings, the actual job is in Utah.

. . . and, now for these e-mails that inspired this posting.

If you're going to e-mail me direct after viewing my resume, please do not just give me an IP address.  I now Google your company's name to make sure your offer is legit.  If you include your physical address in the e-mail and it also appears at your company's website AND your sender e-mail address matches one that could come from the company (according to your company's website) then I will be much more convinced the offer is legitimate.  Otherwise, I think you are phishing and will trash your e-mail immediately.

Where do I begin with this second e-mail?  Sad to say there will be a few out there who get the e-mail below, reply and join just for the sake of "earning" what appears to be "easy money".  I'll contact Google shortly (they used a g-mail account) and see if there's anything else I can do about communications like this.

The best advice here is the oldest: if it looks too good to be true, it definitely is!

Good luck to all who are dealing with layoffs or are otherwise trying to find legitimate, good paying work. I am already prepared to get more e-mails like these in the coming months and will do what I can to shine a little sunlight on these . . . communications.


No comments:

Search This Blog