I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

I have a confession

I watch This Week with George Stephanopoulos.  Every.  Sunday.

And, nearly every Sunday afternoon, I read the liberal blogs about some politician saying something on "This Week" that sets stomachs to heartburn and, in the writer's opinion, goes unchallenged by George.

Having watched these sorts of shows for a while now, I'm getting pretty good at finding when the host lets the guest speak their mind, getting away with blatant opinion instead of an honest analysis of fact.  Once in a while, a Democrat gets to wander down their own path.  More often, the Republicans get a hold of the reins and run roughshod over what's actually happening.

The first segment of today's show was a real test of restraint for me.  Fortunately, the TV is still in one piece and I didn't strain any muscle or tendon from tossing things across the living room.

Things got off to a start with Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch from Utah stating confidently:
We all know he's going to pick a more liberal justice.  Their side will make sure that it's a pro-abortion justice.  I don't think anybody has any illusions about that.
Then, less than a minute later, the dog-piling of Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy begins:
LEAHY: . . I have a pretty good sense of what (President Obama) has in mind for a justice.  What I would argue . .

STEPHANOPOULOS: What is it?

LEAHY: What I would argue . . 

HATCH: I would like to know that, Pat.

LEAHY (the transcript incorrectly attributed this next quote to George): What I would argue is you walk into the Supreme Court, over the doorway there is a great big piece of Vermont marble, and engraved on it, it says "equal justice under law." That is what you want to have.
and on and on the overwhelming push to the right continued.

In all fairness, the reaction of at least one Democrat in the Senate to the last Supreme Court Justice nominee, Samuel Alito, was not all that much less bellicose.

Still, I was feeling like I was getting the overheated leftovers from a Fox News . . uh . . news program (?).  Well, at least with Fox, everyone knows what kind of spin to expect (or, for that matter, the kind of spin one gets when watching an MSNBC . . news-esque . . show).

I'm saving Fareed Zakaria for later today . . like a treat.  An actual news program withan actual journalist/editor talking with interesting guests with a different take on political and international issues.

Then again, how else would my pitching arm get a workout every week?

No comments:

Search This Blog