I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Fun and frivolity


First up, just read the banner in the above photo. While I'll be in the neighborhood, my guess is I'll miss the ceremony due to having to work!  The nerve !!  Still, I'll see if I can get an "after" photo while the cement is still drying.

********************************************************************************

So what, you may be asking, is Metalhead39 reading on his way to/from work these days?  An autobiography of some senior staffer from the Senate?  The latest tell-all on the backstage antics of a popular heavy metal band?

Well, it's actually "Watching Baseball Smarter" by Zack Hample.  Before your imagination wonders, it is a primer for those who played baseball as kids and want to expand their knowledge of the Major League Baseball version of the game and all that happens between the pitching, hitting, running and catching.

So, what have I learned so far?  First, the catcher all but rules the park with only intermittent interference by the coaches.  A pitcher throws around 100 pitches in a given game.  There is a lot of signal giving, signal reading, attempted signal interception and interpretation and plenty of times when someone has to stop the signaling and tell all involved to start over (which, interestingly is yet another signal used).

I also can't put the book down.  The real test will be to watch a game after finishing the book and seeing how much of what I've learned was retained.  I definitely have a whole new appreciation for the game and the intelligence with which it is played!

************************************************************************

Finally, I laughed myself to tears over this "ad" created by Stephen Colbert.  To add hot fudge, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry on top to the hilarity, check out the response by the group whose actual ad was lampooned by Colbert.  That, apparently, you cannot make up!

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
The Colbert Coalition's Anti-Gay Marriage Ad
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest

No comments:

Search This Blog