I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

A journey of a thousand miles

So much has happened in the last couple of months.  Well, a whole heckuva lot has happened in the last four decades, some of which might be worth posting at some point. 

So why start this blog now?

Like so many others these days, I was laid off for the second time in my life less than a month ago and this is the first time I have had to try living on Unemployment while I look for a new source of steady paychecks.

I could go in ten different directions from here.

Someone like me in the middle of their life, in this set of circumstances, should find themselves looking any number of directions.  Do I go back to school and get involved in the promised new category of "green collar jobs"? Do I choose a new career "working from home making just ## grand a month in my pajamas"?

Do I "pursue my bliss"?  If so, the job titles "Rock Superstar", "Church Leader", "Secret Agent" and "Dog Walker" don't sound like such secure and safe means of earning a living.  I have tried holding on to the tenet that if one does what one loves, the money will follow.  When I explain this to potential employers, I typically get a look that says "You really believe that nonsense?"

Up until two months ago, I could have wholeheartedly defended this philosophy.

My hope is, through this process, I can once again use that mantra and mean it . . wholeheartedly.

No comments:

Search This Blog