I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Events in Mumbai, India

I am transfixed to the TV this afternoon watching live newsfeed from Mumbai.   As of now, there is a Mujhaideen ("MOO-zha-ha-DEEN") group claiming responsibility and it appears that hostages are still being held.

After having watched MSNBC airing the footage and talking about how this will affect politics and policy in the US, I've got that old cynical, jaded taste in my mouth.

My first thought, as is the thought of any decent person watching is "What may I do to help?"

As is the case with every tragedy, there will be those who will take advantage of people's generosity.  I'm sure the Indian press and the BBC will be the best resource for finding to whom to donate in the coming hours and days.

I am offering prayers and positive thoughts to those who are affected by this despicable series of acts.  I went to Sri Mata Amritanandamayi Devi's home page.  She is known better as Amma and is a world-renowned spiritual leader of the Hindu faith.  Her home page, which was last updated prior to the events in Mumbai, had this quote of hers placed at the top right corner:

"Our efforts to remove hatred and indifference from the world begin by trying to remove them from our own mind"

I will let that be my prayer tonight.  May it also be yours.

No comments:

Search This Blog